I am writing to invite you to the first annual Ontario Bike Summit hosted by The Share the Road Cycling Coalition and the City of Waterloo.
Are you looking for:
- Great ideas to create a cycling master plan in your community?
- Tips and ideas on how to work more effectively with local governments to advance cycling?
- Data and research that will help you “make the case” for cycling investments and programs in your community?
- A chance to help shape a Provincial Bike Policy for the Province of Ontario – like those that exist in Quebec and B.C.?
- A chance to learn about what other communities are doing in the areas of law enforcement initiatives, education and awareness, public health ideas, bicycle tourism?
- Inspiration from speakers from bicycle friendly cities in the United States in Europe?
- What it takes to make all communities “bicycle-friendly”?
If you answered YES to any of these questions…PLAN TO JOIN US at the Waterloo Inn and Conference Hotel on September 21st-22nd.
The Ontario Bike Summit is designed to share best practices between municipalities, advocates, planners, TDM professionals with a view to creating “Bicycle Friendly Communities” across Ontario.
In designing the Summit agenda, we have met with municipal leaders, advocates, planners, cycling retailers, public health professionals, educators, law enforcement – the multiple stakeholders who have an interest in and who are involved in building healthy, safe, “bicycle friendly” communities. Many of these same stakeholders will be joining us as speakers. Go to www.sharetheroad for more information on our speaker line up thus far. Please stay tuned as we fine tune our list and finalize our workshops.
It is our hope that our speakers, our “how-to” workshops and the opportunity to network with colleagues from other jurisdictions will be of interest and will inspire you to build bicycle friendly communities where you live.
Our Summit kick off starts on Sunday September 20th at the Kelso Conservation Area http://www.conservationhalton.on.ca/ShowCategory.cfm?subCatID=1085 with the annual “Share the Road for Greg Ride” in memory of OPP Sergeant Greg Stobbart, on September 20th at the Kelso Conservation area in Milton.
Registration is now open. Please go to http://www.sharetheroad.ca/registration-s11707 for information on our speaker list thus far, and to register. There will be secure bike parking at the hotel, and the Region of Waterloo has arranged for free transit passes for conference attendees.
I look forward to seeing you in Waterloo next month. Stay tuned to our website for updates on workshops.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me should you require information.
In closing, I would like to thank all of you for your ongoing support and ideas, and to our generous sponsors, thank you so much. Our work would be impossible without all of you. Thank you.
Yours in safe cycling,
Founder, Share the Road Cycling Coalition