By Laurel-Lea Shannon
Getting your daily cycling fix is all about planning. You have a lot of demands on your time and it’s not always easy to fit a ride in. The night before, lay out your riding gear and get your bike ready to go. Check the tires. If they need inflating, pump them up. Do your six-point safety check—which should be done before each ride. Fill up your water bottles and leave them in the fridge. Get your cycling shoes out of the closet and round up your snacks. If you drive to a starting place, use a gym bag to keep your cycling gear together in one place. Include extra gloves, socks and energy bars so you’re covered if you race out the door and forget them.
Here are a few other tips for finding the time to ride:
- Get up early and ride before work. It will energize you physically and emotionally for the day.
- Take a bike break at lunch and eat at your desk afterwards.
- Commute to work. It takes some extra planning but it’s doable.
- Ride in the early evening after work. Many clubs have rides that start at 6 pm on week days during the summer, and end before dark.
- Talk to your family about how important cycling time is to you, and get their cooperation and support.
- Join a bike club. Bike clubs have regularly scheduled rides, which can reduce your need to plan each week. Someone else plans the route. You show up with your bike. It’s convenient and easy, and you’ll make new friends.
- Schedule your day and include your ride in your schedule. Make it a priority. Don’t let it be the first thing that gets tossed when time gets tight. If you’re caught short, do a shorter ride.
- Make your time on the bike count. If you only have 45 minutes, go hard and make the most of that time.
- Make cycling a family activity—one of the ways you spend quality time with your family.
- If you still have trouble finding the time you want for you and your bike, you may need to adjust your cycling goals to fit your schedule.
We want to know what you think! Scroll down to leave a comment.
Like this article? You’ll love getting our free newsletter!