* Chop an onion and sauté in olive oil in a soup pot.
* Add about 2 TB of chopped fresh ginger, 1/2 diced red pepper and approx 1 TB each of curry powder and cumin. Cook together for about 5 minutes.
* Add one can of coconut milk, some chicken stock and diced (and 1/4 inch in size) new potato and sweet potato.
* Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer to cook.
* Meanwhile, cut up some chicken (breasts or thighs), saute in another pan until cooked through. Add to soup.
* Add about one TB of lime (or lemon) juice and dash of hot sauce.
* Simmer until your spuds are cooked.
* When done, chop up some fresh cilantro and serve!
Okay, here’s my riff on Heather’s recipe. I added 2 cups of homemade chicken stock. I left the sweet potato in larger 1/2 inch pieces–adding about 5 or 6 cups of sweet potato. You can use boneless chicken or chicken pieces with bone in. I partially sautéed the chicken and then finished cooking it in the broth with the potato. Make sure you taste for salt as you cook the soup. If you use canned chicken broth you probably won’t need any additional salt.
Just replace the chicken with tofu or extra vegetables. Snow peas would be delicious. This soup is also very good with shrimp or white fish!