This delicious Thai Chicken Soup is gluten-and dairy-free.
Thai Chicken Soup
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or coconut oil
3 shallots, chopped
8 sprigs cilantro, chopped
4 cups chicken stock
28 ounces coconut milk
1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
½ pound crimini mushrooms
1 head broccoli
1 pound chicken breasts skinless-boneless, halved lengthwise, sliced on bias, cut into ⅛ inch thick pieces
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons red curry paste
3 tablespoons fish sauce
½ cup cilantro, minced
2 thinly sliced serrano chilies
¼ cup scallions
1 lime, cut into wedges
- Warm oil in a large saucepan over medium heat
- Add shallots and cilantro, stirring frequently until softened –2 to 5 minutes
- Stir in stock, coconut milk and agave and bring to a simmer
- Pour broth through a fine mesh strainer and discard solids (shallot and cilantro)
- Return broth to saucepan
- Reduce heat to medium , add mushrooms and broccoli and cook until tender –2 to 3 minutes
- Add chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until no longer pink –1 to 3 minutes
- Combine lime juice, curry paste and fish sauce in a small bowl then stir into soup
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro, chilies and scallions
- Serve with wedges of lime
Wellness expert and gluten-free guru Elana Amsterdam is the New York Times bestselling author of the book Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry, and founder of the blog elanaspantry.com, where she shares simple, healthy recipes and lifestyle advice.
Elana has written for Parents, Shape Magazine, and Delicious Living and has been featured in a variety of media outlets including Fortune Magazine, The Washington Post, and The Wall Street Journal, and has appeared on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News Live.
Her other books include The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook (Random House 2009) named one of the “Best Cookbooks of the Year” by The Denver Post, and Gluten Free Cupcakes (Random House 2011), a tome of enticing, yet healthy desserts.